Monday, April 21, 2014

18 weeks, 5 days - Buh-bum, buh-bum, buh-bum

Well, the old wives would support Grandpa's wish to have another granddaughter!  Baby's heart rate was 154 and, if you have kept up with what the old wives say, that points to a girl.  The theory is that if the heart rate is above 140, then it's a girl; below 140 is a boy.  Obviously, that's just an old wives tale, but I think it's so fun to watch things like that.  Dr. Lawson took a VERY long time determining the heart beat.  I didn't ask her why, but I'm wondering if it was because she was checking to confirm there was only one.  As I said before, my fundal height is higher than expected for this point so she was likely worried they'd missed something the first time around.

I'm scheduled for an appointment with a perinatologist to do the anatomy scan in a couple of weeks.  For those of you who don't know, that means a high risk baby doctor.  I don't much like that.  She said it would take something like 1.5 hours to do.  I looked it up online and they said that when you do the anatomy scan with a perinatologist, there are a lot more measurements that they do.  I didn't ask my doc about it, but I'm assuming it's because of my advanced maternal age.  I know that in the end, it's just more scans and will ensure all is ok, but I declined the genetic testing for a reason.  All the extra scans and measurements to make sure all is ok is just like doing the genetic testing, as far as I'm concerned.  I just don't like it.

But, having said that, we're getting the ultrasound on 5/1!  That'll be fun.  I loved seeing pics of baby Henry and I think it'll be so delightful to see pics of Baby "the next."  I wonder how big he/she is.  I wonder if we'll notice that he/she looks any different.  With Henry, we weren't ever able to see a profile because he was hiding his head.  So we got some cool shots of him doing a somersault.  I wonder what we'll end up with for this babe.  Can't wait.

No comments:

Post a Comment