Tuesday, June 17, 2014

26 weeks, 6 days - Glucose Tolerance Test Results

Well, I got the results back.  I didn't fail but I didn't exactly pass, either.  Apparently, I failed the second blood draw, which is the one taken an hour after drinking the sugar solution.  But I passed all the others.  To me, that means that my body works right, it just works more slowly than expected.  Which could explain why I have that terrible crash an hour or so after the last blood draw.  They didn't tell me what my actual results in numbers were, but here's what it says on BabyCenter about the test:

If one of the readings is abnormal, you may have to take another test later in your pregnancy. Or your practitioner may ask you to make some changes in your diet and exercise routine.
If two or more of your readings are abnormal, you'll be diagnosed with gestational diabetes. Your practitioner will talk to you about a treatment plan.
This chart shows the levels that the American Diabetes Association considers abnormal at each interval of the test:
IntervalAbnormal reading
Fasting95 mg/dl or higher
1 hour180 mg/dl or higher
2 hours155 mg/dl or higher
3 hours140 mg/dl or higher

I have to think this is about what happened last time and that's why Dr. Elliot put me on the diet.  This time, they want to test me again at my next appointment (which is on July 2).  I guess I'm supposed to eat a normal meal two hours before my appointment and they'll do a finger stick at that point.  

In the mean time, I guess I'll try to be a little more cognizant of what's going into my mouth.  Thus far, I haven't been too fussed when I wanted chocolate or ice cream or french fries.  I haven't gorged on them but I haven't deprived myself of them either.  I think I may start watching how much fruit I eat, cutting out the chocolate/sweets, and paying a bit closer attention to how much pasta I'm eating.  Again, not cutting out carbs  per se, but just being aware of what I'm eating.  Oh, and I may switch from sweetened yogurt to plain.  Blerg.  When I used to eat plain yogurt, I'd either put fruit in it or sweeten it with sugar free jam.  So... maybe I'll just switch to cottage cheese.  I don't know.  We'll see.  Anyway, all is not lost!

Also, in unrelated news, I was talking to my boss yesterday, and he was venting a bit about this sub contractor I manage who is just a nasty, kind of disgusting person.  She's one of these people who is relatively attractive most of the time, but whose face just contorts into this seething, malicious, nasty, viscous just awful look when something she's unhappy with happens.  Picture Sarah Palin when she was talking about the Gabby Giffords shooting.  Ugh, she's just a gross person.  Anyway, Bob was complaining about her when I chimed in with the whole, "yeah, she told me that my face was fat the other day."  Absolutely agog, he said, "Why on earth would she say that?  She's so gross.  I think your face looks a lot better now."  Hahahahahahahaha!  I know he meant it in such a nice way, but it just came out so funny.  "I think your face looks a lot better now."  As in... it looked pretty rough there for awhile?  I know that's a stereotypical "woman" response but I just couldn't help but laugh when he said it.  Oh Bob.  :)

2 comments:

  1. cutting out sweets is probably not a terrible idea, but I would hate to see you cut fruit before they make you; there's so many nutrients (and fiber pregnant lady) in there that are so important, both to you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I was thinking that I'd cut back on it but not cut it out. But maybe I'll rethink it. I do love me some fruit. I just eat SO much of it. Like literally 10+ servings a day sometimes. Not sure that's particularly healthy for anyone. I know it's natural but it's an awful lot of sugar. I'll give it a think. Thank you for worrying about me and baby bump!

      Delete