Monday, August 18, 2014

35 weeks, 5 days - Hospital tour

We went on a tour of the labor and delivery area of the hospital we'd like to deliver in yesterday. I say, "we'd like to deliver in" because it's an hour away if there's no traffic and... well... that's kind of far.  I have no idea if we'll make it there or not.  It's possible that we'll end up at Piedmont in Newnan -- which is about 15 minutes away -- just depending on how quickly things seem to progress.  Anyway, we took the tour yesterday and I was feeling a little weird about doing it.  Just kind of stupid like I should know this stuff already.  I mean, obviously, I hadn't given birth there before so I shouldn't feel stupid about it, but I did.  But I'm so glad we went.  It was great.  It was easy and clear and really eased my anxiety about getting there and what to do once I got there.  Really glad I went.  The postpartum rooms aren't as nice as the ones in Arlington, but they're fine and the L&D rooms look really nice.  The hospital actually has this special private area where you can get these fancy suites and a personal chef while you recover.  Matt, of course, wants to do that but after I whacked him over the head a few times and explained how it really wasn't worth $700 EXTRA a night, he relented.

I also met a woman who looked to be about the exact same size as me.  She's also 35 weeks and when I exclaimed about how small she is, she said the same about me.  We then had a conversation about the weird things people say to us and how nice it is to see someone else the same size so we don't feel like complete freaks of nature.  She said she thought it was because she's tall.  I told her I've speculated the same thing.  I forgot to mention that the doctor recently complemented me on my abs.  That might have made her feel good, too.  Anyway, between seeing someone else who looked pretty small and having the doctor be so awesome and supportive on Friday, I'm feeling really good about things these days.  I'd just been feeling so blue and terrible, like I'd been doing something wrong even though I knew I hadn't.  It's hard to listen to people tell you over and over that you're not doing this or that right or you should be doing this or that without starting to doubt yourself, regardless of how sure you are in the beginning.

In other news, Amy's niece, Caden, had her baby yesterday.  That's another one off the list.  I think now Derek and I are in a race to the finish line.  His wife is due on 9/13 and then I think that's it as far as the babies I know personally.  What a crazy number of babies there are/were this summer!!

No comments:

Post a Comment